A brief guide to writing for Caffeine Magazine
Please follow these guidelines
If you would like to write a feature for us, here is what we’d like from you:
- Pitch us new and interesting ideas, and something you’re incredibly passionate about. This is what will make your pitch stand out.
- A clear and concise paragraph that outlines your idea, what the general structure of the feature will be and why you think our readers will enjoy it, like this:
Headline: CBD Coffee: Fact or Fiction? In this story I will explain the growing trend in CBD in coffee, and why it may not be the most beneficial way of taking CBD. I will explore the legality of CBD and the scientific research currently available. I'll have quotes from coffee industry professionals, scientists and representatives from a UK hemp farm. Word Count : 1000
- Links to relevant examples of your published work.
- Think visual: Caffeine prides itself on its visual aesthetic, so if you can provide images to give us a better idea on your feature, that will stand you in good stead to be published.
- A sense of the sources you would use/speak to illustrate your argument.
- Explain why you have the acumen to produce the feature.
- Treat your feature as a conversation with our readership – impart your knowledge, but make it digestible. Be informative, engaging with a light touch!
- Ideally, you will be familiar and/or a reader of Caffeine! To get a gauge on our house style, we recommend picking up a few copies.
Please… Never pitch these ideas
A successful business person gives up their soul-destroying but lucrative career in the city to fulfil their dream of opening a cafe.
We can sympathise with hating the grind of our day job and wanting to walk out while flicking the bird to our boss. However, this kind of feature speaks to a very privileged position and is tone-deaf to our audience.
I’ve just opened a new café / roastery
We’re happy to see new places open up, but unless you are doing something exceptionally different, this doesn’t warrant a 1500 word feature. May we suggest an advertorial instead?
Top 10 Cafes in London
There are now over 500 speciality cafes in London – We need to be specific, funny or useful. For example, if you pitched us the top 10 cafes that employ dog baristas – now there’s a feature!
That exact feature you’ve just read on ‘VICE’ or ‘Time Out’
We all get inspiration from articles we’ve seen elsewhere, but please understand we probably read that feature too.
Caffeine/Coffee is bad/good for you
So there’s a new piece of research that unequivocally proves that caffeine is bad/good for you. Have you got hard data, has it been peer-reviewed? Or did you just hear it on a podcast?
We have a new dishwasher/fridge
Unless your dishwasher can magically brew coffee too, we’re not interested.
Your new award-winning smart coffee instrument on Kickstarter
We’re going to defer to iDubbbzTV on this one